Skip to main content

AN INTRODUCTION, DEAR SIRE?

Hello there, it's great to have you here. I wanted to introduce myself and give you a little preview of what you can expect from my blog. My name is Reyes Raine, I’m an amateur writer passionate about sharing my thoughts, experiences, and ideas on writing, story-telling and graphic design with others. I believe by sharing my experiences as a new author writing his first book, I can help those who might be feeling a bit intimidated embarking on their own journeys, hence creating this blog. 


THE PURPOSE

I may not yet be published but this blog isn’t intended to be educational, to an extent. The main goal I have here is to walk you through the successes, failures and struggles I face with writing, editing, marketing and publishing my first novel so that you get a first-hand experience of what the process is like as it happens and perhaps feel a bit more confident in pursuing your own novel journeys. After all, one can say that humanity’s greatest fear is the fear of the unknown, and if I can part the clouds and help those behind me cross through, then I’ll do my best to help.


However, this blog will not be limited to writing. We’re in 2023 and to expect a person to have one sole interest or passion is frankly rather close-minded. Therefore I will be talking about my other interests too like story-telling, solo rpgs, group rpgs and graphic design. I also hope to discuss with you some of my graphic design interests and opinions, including sharing new design releases for you to enjoy. We are complex creatures, never one-note and so I hope to share with you multiple facets of my creative mind.


So Who Might I Be?

On a more personal note, I am in my 20s and a qualified graphic designer, having recently graduated from a CERT II to a Diploma in Graphic Design. I’m passionate about the art, although I have been writing as a hobby for over a decade, and have shared my works online under multiple pseudonyms since 2015. I play Dungeons and Dragons with a group and Call of Cthulhu on my own. The Cthulhu Mythos and Victorian London are my main interests, reflected in my favourite games such as the Fallen London franchise by Failbetter Games, The Sinking City by Frogwares and Pathologic by Ice Pick Lodge. If you find yourself interested in these topics, I have no doubt you’ll fit in around here. 

Whether you're looking for inspiration, advice, or just a good read, I hope that you'll find something here that resonates with you. I strive for this blog to be a safe space for all persons of faith, LGBTQIA+, disability and race and any insults, slurs or toxic dehumanising language directed at any of these groups in my comments will be deleted. My blog and interests might involve vintage aesthetics but I do not encourage vintage values.




So, if you're ready to embark on a journey of discovery and growth, I invite you to join me on this adventure. Let's explore the world of writing, design, storytelling and more together and see what we can learn along the way. I’m also available on Twitter, Instagram and RedBubble, these links can be accessed on my “Find Me” page via the hamburger menu or you can search “Find Me” via the search button in the header.

Keep learning and keep sharing stories.

-Reyes Raine


Please keep comments civil and free from hate speech or unrelated topics. Those who insult, dehumanise, preach or post spam/malware will be deleted.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, this dear fellow will prove an invaluable repository of first-hand knowledge on the writing process. As someone who has followed them diligently for the past years, believe me when I say that you will find something truly important to your creative future in there, no matter which goal you may try to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I WRITE CHARACTER TRAITS

I’ve often struggled with writing out my character’s personalities, especially my main characters. These things can be terribly complex and as someone with Autism, I often fret if my characters are believable enough or how I perceive the world is incorrect. Perhaps you’ve also written out lists of good and bad traits or built personalities off their likes and dislikes (the good ol’ “Likes helping people, hates conflict” kind of building). Over the past year and a half of working on my first novel, I’d like to sit down and show you my method for creating brief descriptions of a character’s personality that allows you to make them as complex or as simple as what suits your book genre and needs. Instead of viewing my character’s personality as a list of traits split into strengths and weaknesses, good emotions and bad emotions, instead, I’ve built a triangle system built on 3 core traits. These traits are designed to feed into each other and create a list of secondary traits that can fuel...

WHY I DON'T LIKE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

With the new Dungeons and Dragons movie out, plus the hassle of the OGL and One D&D (Or 6e or 5.5e or whatever they’re calling it), the tabletop RPG has been in the public eye a lot as of late. Many people had considered jumping ship and moving to other TTRPGs, most popularly Pathfinder, before seemingly falling back into place with the OGL revisions and the movie release. Now all that could potentially shake their devotion now is the fact that One D&D is replacing 5e. Still, with most already possessing the material and homebrew safe from tampering, it seems highly unlikely most will venture beyond the mainstream safe zone. It’s a shame because, for those willing, they’ll find there are many more TTRPGS other than D&D, some just as old and still going strong, and not just Pathfinder. While the initial scare of the OGL worried me a bit, I never truly felt heartbroken about Dungeons and Dragons. I owned some material and had played for a few years, but without my groups, the...